Public Radio Capital’s mission is to strengthen and expand public media to provide local communities nationwide with more in-depth information, unbiased news, diverse music and cultural programming. Founded in 2001, PRC has led its clients through more than $310 million in radio transactions, securing public radio access for 66 million people.
PRC has worked with more than 200 public media organizations, ranging from first time station owners to the largest, multi-channel public radio station owners in the country. We help public media to buy and finance new channels, preserve existing public radio outlets, and strengthen their organizations and services.
PRC is the only nonprofit in the nation that focuses on expanding the capacity and asset base of public radio. We are currently supported by major grants and Public Radio Fund investments from Calvert Foundation, Calvert Giving Fund, FJC Foundation, Ford Foundation, ImpactAssets, Nonprofit Finance Fund, NPR Inc., Open Society Institute, The San Francisco Foundation, Trillium Investors, Vervane Foundation, Wyncote Foundation and other philanthropic investors.
What we do:
- Conduct market analyses to assess public radio opportunities.
- Deliver proprietary business modeling to illustrate the potential of public radio acquisition and operating strategies.
- Acquire radio channels with and for public radio providers.
- Improve access to capital with loans from the Public Radio Fund and educate clients on financial options.
- Bring together and facilitate productive public media partnerships.
- Speak at station board meetings and industry conferences about public radio opportunities.
- Provide outreach to college, university and school board public radio owners to increase revenue and maximize public services.
- Partner with national foundations and local organizations to implement projects that strengthen the public radio industry.